History In a Nutshell
Boggo School, the first school on the southside, made its appearance in 1871. On 6 February the small wooden school opened with 70 students catering for the children coming from Annerley, Moorooka, Dutton Park, Fairfield and Yeronga. In 1886, Mr St Ledger, headteacher at the time, made a representation to the Department of Public Instruction to have the name changed to Yeronga State School.
To date the school has had 14 principals who have led the community through times of flood, drought, abundance and depression. The school, bordered by Yeronga Memorial Park, has a deep connection with those who fought in the first World War.
Enrolments began with children mainly from farming families but over time have fluctuated according to societal changes, progress in housing trends in the area and the opening of neighbouring schools, Junction Park, Dutton Park and Moorooka State Schools.
In 2021, Yeronga State School will celebrate 150 years of public education. Events throughout the year are planned to allow those with a connection to the school to reconnect and reminisce.
Over time, this site will grow and add further detail of the School’s history and pictures from the archives. If you have any interesting stories or information that can be included please contact email@example.com with details.